Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The first week and the beginning of the second week of July in Dar-Es-Salaam

At the University of Dar-Es-Salaam (UDSM), I was welcomed very well with the head of department of Business and Commerce at the University of Dar-Es-Salaam Business School, whose office was right across from the UDSM dean's office. I originally supposed to see the dean to inform her about my plans, in order to be authorised to conduct the leadership training workshop. Unfortunately, the dean was out of town and so was the assistant, thus the head of the dept of Business and Commerce department decided to assist me with my plans. The head of the dept, gave me the name and contact of the female student who used to be vice president of the student governing body (DARUSO)at the university, Naomi Mafwiri. Initially, I thought that it would be better for me to attach myself with a certain department at the university. Thus I started asking around which dept at the university might be willing to work with me to do this program. More than three people suggested that I speak with the dept of public service at UDSM. So I went to the dept and asked to speak with the dept head. The dept head suggested that I write a proposal for the leadership training, etc and will perhaps take two weeks for me to get clearance to do the training. This is so because a committee will have to review my proposal and to see if it the training will be valuable to the students or not. After listening to the suggestion of the head of the dept of public service and here the procedures my requests will have to go through. I thought it was better to go ahead and look for Naomi a former vice president of the DARUSO and ask her to assisst me in getting the students, the word out about the training that I was about to provide to the students and other logistics.
Working with the university student governing body was a very good idea, simply because it was easy to organize and galvanize the female students from various disciplines at the UDSM and the University College of Land Evaluation and Management (UCLAS). I was able to get about 50 students who registered to attend the workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment