Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The mid and the end of the second week of July (up to the 9th of July)

I had just set the date for the leadership training workshop, Saturday 11th of July. Naomi was to help me with recruiting female students from education, sociology, geography, political science and public administration dept, business and commerce dept and so forth. I also asked her to use the student governing body name (DARUSO) to reserve a room to do the workshop and get a projector.
Well luckily enough, I was able to get 48 students who registered to attend the workshop on Saturday the 11th from UDSM. I then went to the University College of Land Evaluation and Management (UCLAS) and asked to get five female students from their department to take part in the leadership training. After I got all the names and contacts of the students who wanted to take part in the leadership training. I had to make sure that I had the venue, projector and guest speakers for the workshop.
I went out and started looking for women political leaders---members of the parliament who are from the ruling party Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) and the opposition, Chama cha Demokrasia na Maendeleo (CHADEMA). As far as getting political leaders is concerned,it was hard to get members of the parliament, because nearly all of them were in the parliament, taking part in the general assembly, etc. Luckily, one member of the parliament, Halima Mdee of CHADEMA, referred me to a youth activist, who is working with CHADEMA, Ms Regia Elastus Mtema to act on her behalf. So, I went ahead and connected with Regia and invited her as a guest speaker to the leadership training workshop---the major theme of her talk was to get young women involved in politics and run for political posts, whenever they are open as well as getting them jazzed up to be active members of their communities.
Knowing that I had Regia to cover the theme on political leadership, I knew that the young women leadership training would not be complete if I don't have a gender issues expert to address the challenges women face when they are at work or assuming leadership posts. Thus, I also tried to connect with an NGO, which works towards gender equality, equity, social and economic justice, known as Tanzania Gender Networking Programme (TGNP). Through TGNP, I managed to get Mama Gemma Akilimali, who is an expert on gender issues, a social activist and has trained women members of the parliament on leadership,worked with DANIDA, NORAD,SADC and so forth as a consultant on gender issues, etc.
After knowing that I had my guest speakers, I knew that now it was up to javascript:void(0)me to make sure that I have everything ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment